Got some bread in your pantry that’s getting a little stale? Don’t throw it away, re-purpose it for some delicious bread pudding!
- 8 slices stale white bread
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 eggs
- 100 grams [approximately 3.5 ounces] raisins
- 300 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 100 grams [approximately 3.5 ounces] sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and cut into small pieces (optional)
- Preheat oven to 175 °C [350 °F].
- Lightly grease a baking pan with butter.
- Tear bread into small pieces.
- Sprinkle the raisins (and the apple if used) over the bread pieces. Drizzle with the melted butter.
- In another bowl combine the eggs, milk, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla extract. Stir well. Pour over the bread mixture.
- Place pan in the oven and cook for about 45 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil if the top gets too brown.
- Allow pudding to cool. Serve it with whipped cream and caramel syrup.
This recipe was originally posted in Dutch on Antilliaans Eten and has been reposted and translated with permission.