One of the most popular foods in the Dutch Antilles, funchi is a major source of dinner time carbohydrates. It is usually combined with other dishes such as karni stoba (Caribbean beef stew) or served with a tasty sauce.
- 2 cups corn flour (Harina P.A.N. is recommended*)
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Bring water and salt to a boil.
- Slowly add corn flour, stirring well. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the butter.
- Place funchi on a plate and press into a thick cake using a second plate.
- • Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into pieces and serving.
tip: When pressing into a thick cake, it is best that the funchi is moist.
*Harina P.A.N. corn flour is precooked and needs only 5 minutes to cook instead of 30.
This recipe was originally posted in Dutch on Antilliaans Eten and has been reposted and translated with permission.